Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hollywood Hills... a gem.

First of all, I am a big dummy and didn't take any pics this time around, because some of you may not believe it... it was a GORGEOUS sunny quasi-warm day here in the PNW. (Of course the day after some random snowstorm). I had a little time to kill waiting for my friend of 30 years, Robyn, to get done with a work thingy, so I did some research on where in the french toast to head to in Woodinville. First stop: The new tasting room for Hollywood Hills winery.

Hollywood Hills: Hollywood, here we come! I gave a call to make sure they would actually be open, and to my joy... YES! I went into their cute, modest tasting room where the absolutely adorable Becky Snyder (wife of winemaker, Steve) was there to greet us. Quick history: They actually had their old tasting room in the detached garage on their own property, where they do have some grapes growing. Becky showed us a picture: so pretty! They took the plunge and decided to get a tasting room in "tasting room country". I'll say... GOOD Move. They have great wine.
Hollywood Hills 2008 Rousanne from Horse Heaven Hills: HOLY &&&*(&*%^! Get this wine! Love this wine! I am NOT a big white wine drinker, but this is one that anyone could fall in love with. First, you don't see Rousanne very often in wines, let alone a straight varietal here in Washington. Secondly, try this wine. (Did I already say that?) This gem was just released and has a golden color with like honey and apricot on the nose. Palette wise.. a little sweet without being too sweet. PERFECT with seafood. This wine is $23 a bottle and worth every penny.
2005 Syrah Yakima Valley: So we got to try 3 syrahs, this being the first. It's a blend of 60% red mountain syrah and 40% Rattlesnake Hills (these being the places where the grapes are from) This one was in the bottle for 2 years prior to release. Nice, well balanced with hints of cherry and pepper.
2006 Syrah Rattlesnake Hills: So now you get a chance to taste the different areas of grapes on their own: awesome. This is what we could say is a masculine wine. Very European in style, tobacco and earth on the nose. Very plummy and bold on the palette. For $30, this is a great bold red. (I am loving on this one. Love the earthy nose!)
2006 Syrah Red Mountain: Nice jammy ripeness, without the spiciness that deters me from syrahs. Another must have in your wine collection.

Big thanks to Becky and Steve for letting me taste the wine. I see great things happening with this wine. If you are in the area, CHECK them out.




No comments: