Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cement? Who knew?

Hi everyone, I am back to a blogging. So last week I grabbed my best friend and headed out to Woodinville on a GORGEOUS sunny day. I finally felt well enough that I could actually taste and smell, which, as you know, is vital to wine tasting.

Matthews- They are back! They were closed down for a short time while sorting somethings out, but the staff was ready to talk wine, and pour some delicious wine. First, was an amazing 2007 Sauvignon Blanc. What's unique about this wine is that it is aged in a concrete egg! (see above) It was amazing to be able to get close and personal to the eggs. They stay nice and cool, and I am sure this helps out in the wine development. These eggs were the first of their kind in the US up until recently. (Only one other winery has them!) This is a very unique process, and while some of the wine MAY leech into the cement, the wine is wonderfully clean, crisp and has a tropical nose with traces of minerality on the palette. I really am not a huge white wine drinker, but this was delicious. Another delicious wine was the Claret. It has a very deep color, and lots of body to it. This wine is smooth as can be, and would pair well with a nice steak. We also had the syrah. I think Syrah may be the big up and coming varietal for Washington. I always thought the wine was a little "too spicy" for my palette, but the more syrahs I try, the more I really appreciate them. Matthews KNOWS how to make Syrah. It's amazing. While Matthews wines are not inexpensive, they are very passionate about wine, and this definitely comes through in the wine. The staff is amazingly friendly and it was a wonderful way to cap off a great day.

2 comments:

dogs-n-wine said...

This makes me think of that movie Cocoon! LOL! Cement eggs of wine certainly qualify as the fountain of youth to me!

dogs-n-wine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.